Erectile Dysfunction Treatment
Erectile dysfunction is one of the most common sex issues reported by men to doctors. It affects thousands of men in India.
Due to this condition, men have trouble keeping or getting an erection for intercourse. While it’s not rare for a man to have erectile problems from time to time if this condition occurs routinely or progressively you should get checked. It is not normal and requires erectile dysfunction treatment.
It can occur:
- Due to emotional reasons or stress
- Due to emotional reasons or stress
- As an early sign of some serious illness, such as heart disease, atherosclerosis (blocked or hardened arteries), high blood sugar due to diabetes or high blood pressure.
ED (Erectile Dysfunction) Symptoms
With Erectile Dysfunction, it is difficult to keep an erection that’s right for sexual intercourse. But when this condition becomes routine and bothersome; you need to seek help from an experienced urologist for proper dysfunction treatment.
Some common symptoms of erectile dysfunction are:
- Being able to keep an erection but not having enough for intercourse
- Being able to keep an erection sometimes but not when you desire to have an intercourse
- Never getting an erection
Erectile dysfunction could also be a warning sign of some serious cardiovascular disease, signifying blockage development in the patient’s vascular system. It may even indicate the risk of getting a stroke, heart attack, or other circulatory issues in the legs. It may also lead to low self-esteem, distress, and depression. Thus, timely ed medications is highly important.
What Causes Erectile Dysfunction
Erectile dysfunction can occur due to physical and emotional issues, or both. This makes erectile dysfunction treatment more necessary than ever.
Physical Causes of erectile dysfunction:
- Not enough blood flow to the penis
- The penis can’t catch blood during an erection
- Health issues that decrease blood flow into the penis like diabetes, smoking or hardened arteries
- Diabetes causing nerve damage to the penis
- If blood cannot stay within the penis
- Nerve signals from the spinal cord or brain don’t reach the penis
- Certain injuries, diseases or surgeries in the pelvic area may also damage nerves in the penis
- Pelvic cancer treatments may affect the functionality of the penis
- Radiation or surgery for cancers in the pelvis or lower abdomen cause erectile dysfunction
- Medications used for treating other health conditions can also affect erection
Emotional Causes are:
- Stress at work or home
- Relationship conflicts
- Worry about sexual performance
- Stress from social or religious conflicts
Risk Factors Related To ED
As you age, the problem of erections is quite common. For instance, it may take longer to get an erection or to keep it firm. So, one may require more direct touch to the penis for keeping or getting an erection. On-time erectile dysfunction treatment along with regular follow-ups can help.
When to see a doctor for erectile dysfunction medication -
There are also various risk factors contributing to erectile dysfunction, such as:
- Heart conditions or medical conditions, especially diabetes
- Being overweight, particularly when you are obese
- Tobacco use also limits the blood flow to arteries and veins, hence lead to chronic health conditions, such as erectile dysfunction
- Some medical treatments like radiation treatment for cancer or prostate surgery Injuries, specifically if they damage arteries or nerves that control erection
- Psychological conditions like anxiety, stress or depression
- Medications, such as antihistamines, antidepressants and medications, used for treating pain, high blood pressure or prostate conditions
- Alcohol or drug use, especially if the person is a heavy drinker or long-term drug user
Complications of Erectile Dysfunction
Erectile dysfunction is a sexual health condition that doesn’t cause any other physical health issue. However, it may be an indicator of some serious underlying conditions so one must opt for erectile dysfunction treatment as soon as possible. If left untreated, this could have some substantial impact on your overall health. So, it’s essential to discuss the complications associated with erectile dysfunction and proceed with ed medications.
Here is a list of some of the serious complications related to erectile dysfunction:
- Unsatisfactory sex life or not getting pleasure during the intercourse
- Not able to get your sexual partner pregnant or male infertility
- Other relationship or marital difficulties
- Low self-esteem or embarrassment
- Relationship stress
- Not being able to keep your partner happy
It can also have some psychological problems like:
- Low confidence
Diagnosis of Erectile Dysfunction
- Physical examination: The first step of erectile dysfunction treatment is diagnosis. Initially, it includes careful examination of the penis and checking nerve sensation.
- Blood tests: The second step of erectile dysfunction treatment requires blood tests. A sample of blood is sent to a laboratory for checking signs of diabetes, heart disease, low testosterone levels, and other health problems.
- Ultrasound: The next step for erectile dysfunction treatment includes an ultrasound. It involves a transducer (wand-like device) to be held over blood vessels of the penis. It forms a video image to let the specialist see what blood flow problems exist. Sometimes, this test is also done in combination with injections of drugs into the penis for stimulating blood flow to get an erection.
- Urine tests (urinalysis): The final step before erectile dysfunction treatment can be started is a urinalysis. Urine tests are also used for testing signs of underlying health conditions.
- Psychological exam: The specialist asks questions to determine depression or psychological causes leading to erectile dysfunction and prescribes erectile dysfunction treatment accordingly.
Erectile Dysfunction Treatment Options
Surgical Treatment or Penile Implants:
This surgery is done to bypass penile artery injury in younger men with a history of severe pelvic trauma. However, penile vascular surgery is not suggested for older men with damaged nerves or hardened arteries. The many erectile dysfunction treatment options are as follows:
- Pills or oral drugs, called phosphodiesterase type-5 inhibitors
- Shock wave Lithotripsy
- Penile injections (intracavernosal, ICI, alprostadil)
- Testosterone Therapy (if low testosterone is detected in the blood test).
- Vacuum Erection Devices
- Testosterone Therapy: In rare cases with low testosterone levels and low sex drive, Testosterone Therapy is done to fix normal erections, along with PDE type 5 inhibitors drugs.
- Vacuum Erection Device: It is a plastic tube that is fixed over the penis to seal it with the skin. A pump, at another end of this tube, makes a low-pressure vacuum around the erectile tissues, resulting in the erection.
- Urethra (IU) and Intracavernosal (ICI) Therapies: If oral drugs don’t work, the drug Alprostadil is prescribed. This comes in two types, depending on the condition: intracavernosal injection (called “ICI”) and through the urethra (called “IU therapy”).
Erectile Dysfunction Treatment Centre in Delhi
SCI Hospital is renowned in Delhi for offering the best erectile dysfunction treatment. At our healthcare centre, the multidisciplinary team of specialists from urology, endocrinology, neurology, cardiovascular diseases, psychology, and psychiatry services work together for evaluating and treating patients.
Our specialists have the expertise and extensive experience in treating thousands of patients with weak erection treatment. Instead of looking up ‘erectile dysfunction doctors near me’ book an appointment with us for effective diagnosis and treatment.
Our approach to male sexual health is the comprehensive screening for various endocrine conditions like low testosterone levels, which might lead to erectile dysfunction. With advanced technologies and equipment, SCI Hospital offers a complete range of options for invasive and non-invasive testing and treatment of erectile dysfunction, such as penile implants, Doppler ultrasound to evaluate penile blood flow, vacuum erection device, testosterone therapy and more.
Best Doctors for Erectile Dysfunction
Urologists at SCI Hospital often conduct ongoing research for finding access to the root cause, as well as solutions for curing erectile dysfunction. Our specialists have extensive experience in weak erection treatment. Our medical team also specializes in treating men with erectile dysfunction, along with severe conditions like diabetes. They understand the need for specialized surgical and medical expertise to help you return to your role as a sexual partner. Hence, we are the best erectile dysfunction treatment center in Delhi.
Myths & Facts of Erectile Dysfunction
FAQ On Erectile dysfunction treatment
Dr. Gautam Banga
MBBS, MS, M.Ch Reconstructive Urologist & Andrologist
18 years of experience
Dr. Vishal Dutt Gour
MBBS, MS, M.Ch Urologist and Andrologist
Dr Gautam doing OT
Patient Waiting Area
Patient Waiting Area
- M 4, Near M Block Market, Greater Kailash-1, New Delhi, 110048