Endometriosis Treatment in Delhi NCR
Endometriosis is irrecoverable, but a manageable gynecological medical condition. It happens when endometrial implants, comprising of tissue found in the uterus, build up in different body parts. It further prepares the womb lining for ovulation, growing in areas outside the uterus.
When they grow outside the uterus, this condition is known as endometriosis. They can also develop in any body part but usually occur in the pelvic region. Endometriosis affects around 6% to 10% of women worldwide.
They may affect:
- Fallopian Tubes
- Lymph Nodes
These tissues usually expel during menstruation; however, the displaced tissue can’t do it. The growing lesions can grow larger and lead to physical symptoms, such as pain, and affects bodily functions like the ability to work, etc.
Stages of Endometriosis
This condition has four stages:
- Stage 1 (minimal): There are small implants, lesions, or wounds. They are found in tissues or organs lining the abdomen or pelvis. There is little to no scar tissue.
- Stage 2 (mild): There are more implants compared to stage 1. These are also deeper within the tissue and also form scarring.
- Stage 3 (moderate): There are deep implants with small Ovarian cysts on one or both.
- There are thick scar tissues called adhesions.
- Stage 4 (severe): It is the widespread stage of deep implants and thicker adhesions. There is the formation of large cysts on one or both ovaries.
Signs and Symptoms of Endometriosis
The major symptom of endometriosis is severe pelvic pain that’s usually related to menstrual periods. This pain also increases over time.
General signs and symptoms of endometriosis are:
- Painful periods (also called dysmenorrhoea): The cramping and pelvic pain may start early and remain even after the menstrual cycle. You may even feel abdominal and lower back pain.
- Pain with intercourse: One feels pain during or after intercourse.
- Pain with urination or bowel movements: One experiences these symptoms at the time of the menstrual cycle.
- Excessive bleeding: One may experience inter-menstrual bleeding or heavy menstrual periods.
- Infertility: Sometimes, this condition can also be observed in women seeking infertility treatment.
- Other symptoms include fatigue, constipation, diarrhea, nausea, or bloating especially during menstrual periods.
The severity of pain is not a reliable indicator of this condition. You may experience mild endometriosis with severe pain or you could experience advanced endometriosis with minimal or no pain.
Causes of Endometriosis
What exactly causes endometriosis is not known. However, there are various theories associated with the causes of this medical condition.
The oldest theory states that it occurs because of retrograde menstruation. It happens when the menstrual blood begins to flow back through fallopian tubes into the pelvic cavity rather than leaving the body through the vagina.
Another theory states that hormones turn the cells outside the uterus into cells equivalent to the lining within the uterus called endometrial cells.
Some also believe that this condition occurs in some areas of the abdomen and is converted into endometrial tissue. It happens when the abdominal cells start growing from embryonic cells that change their shape and start acting like endometrial cells.
Some also believe that endometriosis begins in the fetal period when misplaced cell tissues respond to puberty hormones. This is also known as the Mullerian theory. Endometriosis development is also linked to genetics or environmental toxins.
Treatment Options of Endometriosis
For treating endometriosis, surgery is possible. However, it is considered only when other treatment options don’t work or are not effective. Other treatment options are:
Pain medications: The specialists may prescribe either nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) like ibuprofen (Motrin IB, Advil, others) and over-the-counter (OTC) drugs or other prescription drugs for treating painful menses.
Hormones: Endometriosis can also be treated with hormonal therapies, which include Gonadotropin-releasing hormone (Gn-RH) agonists and antagonists, hormonal birth control, Danazol, and Medroxyprogesterone (Depo-Provera). Besides, the placement of the intrauterine device (IUD) could be suggested by the specialist for the treatment.
Surgery: The initial surgery may seek the removal of the areas of endometriosis. However, a hysterectomy may be necessary with the removal of both ovaries.
Fertility treatment: In this case, the pregnancy is recommended through in-vitro fertilization (IVF).
Risk Factorsassociated with Endometriosis
There are several risk factors associated with the development of endometriosis, such as:
- Starting periods at an early age
- Not giving birth at all
- Getting menopause at an older age
- Having short menstrual cycles — for example, less than 26 or 27 days
- Having heavy menstrual periods, which last more than seven days
- Having higher estrogen levels within the body or higher lifetime exposure to estrogen
- Having a lower body mass index
- Any medical condition that may prevent normal menstrual flow through your body
- Any family member (mother, sister, or aunt) with a history of endometriosis
- Having one or more reproductive tract abnormalities
Best Endometriosis Treatment Hospital in Delhi
SCI Hospital provides the best medical care and hospital facilities to patients with endometriosis. We aim to offer high-quality and advanced treatment to patients with the help of experienced surgeons and medical specialists.
We offer the best treatment facilities for curing endometriosis through surgery, fertility treatment, hormonal treatment, and pain medications.
SCI Healthcare also offers multi-disciplinary facilities for different health requirements of women in a comprehensive, advanced, compassionate, and dedicated manner with an emphasis on patient safety and care.
Frequently Asked Questions about Endometriosis
- Consider using hormonal birth control such as pills, patches with lower doses of estrogen
- Reduce the intake of alcohol as it raises estrogen levels
- Exercise four hours a week
- Avoid drinks with caffeine
Dr Shivani Sachdeva Gour
Dr Mamta Goel
Dr Dhwani Mago
Patient Waiting Area
Patient Waiting Area
- M 4, Near M Block Market, Greater Kailash-1, New Delhi, 110048